New Jersey’s first coronavirus report of 2021 included 5,541 extra instances and one other 119 confirmed COVID-19 deaths, although the speed of unfold and statewide hospitalizations for the sickness each fell for the third straight day.
“As we start the brand new yr, keep vigilant,” Murphy tweeted. “Social distance. Masks up.”
The governor also thanked the state’s residents and first responders for what they endured within the face of the pandemic in 2020.
“Grateful for ALL New Jerseyans who stepped up, stayed in, and got here collectively to get us via 2020,” Murphy tweeted. “A particular shoutout to our first responders and people on the entrance strains of the #COVID19 disaster. On behalf of all 9 million of us – THANK YOU.”
That is the primary time since Dec. 5-6 the state has reported back-to-back days of greater than 5,000 instances.
After three straight days beneath 3,000, New Jersey’s seven-day common for brand spanking new constructive assessments is now 4,008 because the state continues to battle a second wave of the pandemic. Nonetheless, that common is down 2% from a month in the past and down 13% from every week in the past.
In the meantime, the state has introduced 90 or extra deaths in every of the final 4 days. Murphy didn’t say when the 119 deaths reported Friday occurred. Some could have occurred days, if not weeks in the past, and have been solely just lately confirmed.
The statewide charge of transmission dropped to 0.93, down from 0.94 the day earlier than. The speed has been fluctuating in current days, however that’s the bottom it’s been since Sept. 1. Any quantity over 1 means every one who will get COVID-19 is spreading the illness to a couple of particular person, and holding the speed beneath 1 is crucial to suppressing the pandemic.
The statewide positivity charge for Sunday, the date with the latest obtainable knowledge, was 11.14%.
Statewide hospitalizations dropped for the third consecutive day, to three,625 sufferers being handled for confirmed or suspected coronavirus instances as of Thursday night time. That’s a lot decrease than the greater than 8,000 sufferers on the peak of the primary wave in April. Nonetheless, hospitalizations have been above 3,500 since Dec. 8 and have been fluctuating in current days.
The variety of COVID-19 sufferers in intensive care held regular at 693, however the quantity on ventilators elevated to 471.
New Jersey has reported 482,861 complete coronavirus instances out of greater than 7.79 million assessments within the practically 10 months for the reason that state reported its first case March 4.
The state of 9 million residents has now reported 19,160 deaths — 17,139 confirmed and a couple of,021 possible fatalities from issues associated to the virus.
Officers have stated the transmission charge is dropping as a result of instances aren’t growing on the similar clip they have been throughout the first wave within the spring, when the state was nonetheless studying easy methods to battle the virus. Additionally they say deaths will seemingly proceed to rise although the transmission charge is falling as a result of fatalities are a lagging determine.
VACCINATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS
Well being officers had administered the primary doses of COVID-19 vaccines to almost 63,000 residents as of mid-week, the state stated Wednesday.
Officers hope to vaccinate 70% of New Jersey grownup residents — about 4.7 million folks — within the subsequent six months. The state is rolling out the vaccine in phases, with healthcare workers and individuals who reside in congregant settings like nursing homes and prisons within the first section. Officers have stated doses needs to be obtainable for most people by April or Might.
New Jersey unveiled a website this week the place folks can signal as much as obtain a vaccine in “the close to future,” Murphy stated Wednesday. The web site — covid19.nj.gov/vaccine — doesn’t presently enable folks to register or pre-register for the vaccine.
In the meantime, all indoor organized sports on the youth, highschool, and grownup leisure ranges in New Jersey can resume Saturday, with restrictions, after being placed on maintain for 4 weeks to assist battle the pandemic.
COUNTY-BY-COUNTY NUMBERS (sorted by most new instances)
- Hudson County: 44,505 constructive assessments (565 new), 1,539 confirmed deaths (168 possible)
- Essex County: 47,699 constructive assessments (502 new), 2,149 confirmed deaths (250 possible)
- Monmouth County: 32,339 constructive assessments (494 new), 946 confirmed deaths (103 possible)
- Bergen County: 47,570 constructive assessments (473 new), 2,067 confirmed deaths (263 possible)
- Middlesex County: 45,268 constructive assessments (457 new), 1,464 confirmed deaths (219 possible)
- Ocean County: 32,872 constructive assessments (441 new), 1,299 confirmed deaths (82 possible)
- Union County: 36,834 constructive assessments (334 new), 1,378 confirmed deaths (181 possible)
- Passaic County: 40,161 constructive assessments (306 new), 1,303 confirmed deaths (157 possible)
- Morris County: 20,389 constructive assessments (294 new), 787 confirmed deaths (178 possible)
- Burlington County: 21461 constructive assessments (291 new), 576 confirmed deaths (51 possible)
- Camden County: 28,910 constructive assessments (281 new), 762 confirmed deaths (65 possible)
- Gloucester County: 14,293 constructive assessments (184 new), 380 confirmed deaths (17 possible)
- Mercer County: 18,920 constructive assessments (169 new), 685 confirmed deaths (40 possible)
- Somerset County: 12,760 constructive assessments (168 new), 578 confirmed deaths (88 possible)
- Atlantic County: 12,329 constructive assessments (138 new), 353 confirmed deaths (17 possible)
- Cumberland County: 7,952 constructive assessments (112 new), 219 confirmed deaths (10 possible)
- Sussex County: 4,542 constructive assessments (106 new), 172 confirmed deaths (43 possible)
- Warren County: 3,978 constructive assessments (56 new), 170 confirmed deaths (13 possible)
- Hunterdon County: 3,799 constructive assessments (55 new), 85 confirmed deaths (54 possible)
- Salem County: 2,793 constructive assessments (35 new), 105 confirmed deaths (7 possible)
- Cape Might County: 2,412 constructive assessments (24 new), 122 confirmed deaths (15 possible)
There have been 3,625 sufferers hospitalized in New Jersey with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 instances as of Thursday nigh. That’s 91 fewer than the night time earlier than.
That quantity included 693 sufferers in crucial or intensive care (the identical because the earlier night time), with 471 on ventilators (9 greater than the day past).
There have been 439 COVID-19 sufferers discharged from hospitals Thursday, in response to the state’s coronavirus dashboard.
There have been 108 in-school coronavirus outbreaks in New Jersey involving 546 college students, academics and workers for the reason that college yr started in late August, in response to the state’s COVID-19 dashboard.
These numbers don’t embrace college students or workers believed to have been contaminated outdoors college or instances that may’t be confirmed as in-school outbreaks. Although the numbers preserve rising each week, Murphy has stated the varsity outbreak statistics stay beneath what state officers have been anticipating when colleges reopened for in-person courses.
The in depth guidelines for colleges, which embrace social distancing pointers for school rooms and strict masks necessities, have made them among the many most secure locations within the state, the governor stated.
However not less than 83 college students or workers members caught COVID-19 at one Essex County college in what seems to be the largest outbreak reported in a single New Jersey school building, in response to new state knowledge.
Although the state has launched minimal details about the instances, many of the outbreaks have concerned 10 or fewer folks catching the virus at every college. In November, an unidentified Union County school reported an outbreak through which not less than 23 folks received sick.
New Jersey defines school outbreaks as instances the place contract tracers decided two or extra college students or college workers caught or transmitted COVID-19 within the classroom or throughout tutorial actions at college.
Damaged down by age, these 30 to 49 years outdated make up the most important share of New Jersey residents who’ve caught the virus (31.4%), adopted by these 50-64 (23.9%), 18-29 (19%), 65-79 (11.2%), 80 and older (5.7%), 5-17 (7%) and 0-4 (1.5%).
On common, the virus has been extra lethal for older residents, particularly these with preexisting circumstances. Almost half the state’s COVID-19 deaths have been amongst residents 80 and older (47%), adopted by these 65-79 (32.8%), 50-64 (15.7%), 30-49 (4.1%), 18-29 (0.4%), 5-17 (0%) and 0-4 (0.02%).
At the least 7,521 of the state’s COVID-19 deaths have been amongst residents and workers members at nursing houses and different long-term care amenities. That quantity has been rising once more at a steeper charge in current weeks. There are presently energetic outbreaks at 427 facilities, leading to 5,681 energetic instances amongst residents and 6,171 amongst staffers.
As of early Friday afternoon, there have been greater than 83.7 million constructive COVID-19 assessments across the globe, in response to a running tally by Johns Hopkins University. Greater than 1.82 million folks have died from coronavirus-related issues.
The U.S. has reported probably the most instances, at greater than 20 million, and probably the most deaths, at greater than 346,400.
Thanks for counting on us to offer the journalism you possibly can belief. Please think about supporting NJ.com with a subscription.